Monday, March 13, 2006

novel marathon

I do miss novel marathon, even if it makes no sense, even if it's just une phrase per day. Maybe we should resurrect the good old fun slapstick tradition.

So here goes,
We're sitting face to face, you telling me your name is Riko and I telling you I don't care if it's Liso or Wibo coz I don't pronounce R and K for god knows why. We've only met for two minutes and your burning eyes are boring into my nose bridge as if me not pronoucing your name right will be armageddon of my own little world. You must be Psycho for goodness sake and I'm an idiot to have the patience to carry on our stupid conversation for more than the time the mosquito journeys from my sleeve to your eyebrow.

Jude 16:37 (GMT +0800) 13th March 2006

***
“My name is Riko.” I tell the girl sitting across the wooden picnic table. I stare at her, hard, my eyes cruising her freckled face, vigilant for any tiny twist of a muscle or two, any barely tangible sign of recognition. Apart from a puzzled, nervous frown, she looked blank, positively blasé.

“Riko. It’s Ri-ko. What’s yours?”

“Alright, RI-KO, I don’t care if it's Liso or Wibo, coz I don't pronounce R and K for god knows why!” she snaps, now alarmed and seems most anxious to leave the conversation at that and leave her alone. Maybe someone is coming to pick her up soon, or else why is she not leaving this table for home or something? The beach is almost deserted at this hour now—it’s late summer still, but the expansive sands and the low-hanging palm trees already acquired a desolate winter feeling. In the northern stretch of the sky gluey rain clouds are gathering fast; a thunderstorm is coming. Still keeping an eye on her, I glanced down the other tables: even the few hippies hanging out in the distance are packing up. Now she takes out a chic cell phone, checks it, frowns deeply and heaves a light sigh. Pocketing it again she immediately diverts her eyes to the humming, restless sea—avoiding my querying eyes. Whoever she is waiting for, why didn’t she just call? I should probably leave and get hold of something to eat now—haven’t been eating in two days—but I’ve got to stay, I’ve got to hang on to this silent, guarded girl, this conversation, for this is a matter of life or virtual death.


Haha this is hilarious, good old amusement, and I am having fun. Go on go on, I’ve no idea what’s going on next and can’t wait to see. And maybe we could pick up the mailroom flick too from where we left off, if we've still extra brainpower and time~(unlikedly yeah, but say I try une phrase par jour on that, lol) =D

Jady 17:45 13th March 2006

***

She's dissecting me, like a threatening microscope. It's eccentric, isn't it? For a complete stranger to be staring at you so inquisitively, to count every freckle and every mole. What made me think she's counting my freckles? Not that I'm overly conscious but the way her translucent grey eyes scan up and down suggests an almost ridiculous possibility. Oh, God, my stomach is cringing. I wish it would disappear but it hangs on like a devilish malignancy. A storm is coming. Where is he? The dark clouds are rolling in. It should be the right place, the right time. Did I accidentally confuse myself? Half the sky is already eaten up alive. Damn, where is he? I started wrestling my thumb with my forefinger, a perpetual habit whenever I felt an omen. There she is again, RI-KO, examining my reddened fingers with a tickling smile in her eyes. I was suddenly enraged and slapped my palm on the wooden table. She was startled, but in no time resumed her usual amused look. Thoroughly defeated, I took out my cell phone and checked the record: private number.

I was about to throw in some plot development, like why she's so anxious and a possible hint of who she could be waiting for. But, it's more fun leaving it to you Jady hahaha.

Jude 16:34 14th March 2006

***

Now, a private number isn't something Alice usually gets. As an introverted, private girl, she shies away from strangers and just keeps to a handful of close friends and, and her phone book has just them. At this moment she is nonplussed, and even more puzzled when she realized: the missed call was only five minutes ago. ‘How could that be?' The question hovers in her head. 'I could not have possibly missed to hear the ring, even if the pocket muffles the sound a little.' The mid-aged woman still sits where she was, intently gazing, an eyebrow flinched ever so slightly when she saw Alice lost in thoughts over the phone screen. What she wants to know, we can't know for the moment now, for the heavy clouds finally and all too suddenly broke into a great downpour, and with little ceremony and perhaps to much relief of Alice, they hurriedly parted. Alice took special attention to the direction the older woman was heading, who now seemed even more eager to flee the pounding rain than her previous interest in observing her. Pushing that thought aside, she darted in quite the opposite direction, running for the one nearest shelter she knew.
**
Diary, 23 August
The existence of this diary is dangerous now. I see the clues piecing together, little by little they start to fall into place, but the strings are tightening too..and I fear. I fear that once they know which strings to pull and which trail to go down, all would crumble, and that which I dread would finally happen. I long for Campbell. Campbell, where could you possibly be? I keep having dreams about you, good ones and nightmares. I am lost in this land, all but deserted, disconnected, hopeless except for one lead..but for now, she is lost too. When I realized I forgot to put the waterproof sheath on me this morning and had to hurry away in the terrible afternoon rain, I looked back once and saw her running down the beach, towards the log house perhaps. I hope she's okay, and I hope I could still find her tomorrow where I believe she would be. But for now, I need to worry for food, and shower...the lesions are getting worse still, in just two days...but I do not want to die, not yet, not perishing in this old, deserted water factory, among all the rusting pipes and no one has any inkling. I think I need to get some more fish and salt now.
18:52 (signed) Elisa.

Laughs—here's my new many strange ends and developments for your entertainment..I know some of them probably makes little sense, but hey, the marathon thing is about being coherent and then have as much fun setting road-blocks and quantum tunnels and whatever for the other mind, so choose what you choose, leave aside whatever you want to leave, and we'll see. ^^

Jady 02:57 24th March 2006

***

6 comments:

Z said...

This's indeed interesting. I feel like throwing in a few pranks just for the fun of it. Wait & see!

Jade said...

ah..so riko is a 'she'..finally some gender definition..i thought of riko as a 'he' when i wrote the last one, lol. and riko now is amused..hmmm...and also, private number? that's a missed call? lots of possibilities man, i am gonna go into deep musing...

Z said...

Eh... I wanted to set it as 'male', but in second thought, maybe female protagonists are more interesting?

Jade said...

lo and behold! plot development here it comes..it sounds like a sci-fi/thriller thing for now, but hey, before there's anything definite, there's always a way to turn it round and set it to some other genre..but honestly, when it's a story done by multi-parties, without any prior planning of plot and characters, sci-fi and thriller are the most ready genres..of course, we could use a bit of definitions later on, but for now, have fun ^^

Z said...

So, one question, the private diary signed by 'Elisa', is it the midaged woman or the girl? Eh, I always laughed when I see the word 'midaged'.

Jade said...

it's the woman of course =P. and how about 'middle-aged'? 'thirty-eightish'? hoho..